When it comes to seeing the dentist, many patients worry they will be told they need a root canal. It’s true that in the past root canals were painful procedures, but with all of our dental advancements, we can perform root canal therapy that is virtually pain-free.
Dr. Austin Wessell of Madison Dentistry specializes in providing comfortable dentistry. He cares about his patients and provides high quality services to each and every one of them. With anxiety free dentistry, patient amenities, and personalized treatments, you’ll be pampered at our practice.
Root canal therapy involves treating the nerves and roots of the teeth. Generally, increased pain or sensitivity may indicate an infected tooth. These infected nerves must be removed in a root canal before infection spreads and results in tooth loss.
Reasons for Root Canal Therapy
A root canal is used to save a tooth that is infected and would otherwise require extraction. Teeth can become infected due to cavities, large fillings, crowns, cracks, and trauma. Some of the signs that you may need a root canal include:
- Decay has reached the soft tissues of the tooth, called the pulp
- Infection or abscess has developed inside the tooth
- Cracked or broken tooth
- Tooth wear
- Tooth grinding
What to Expect from your Root Canal Procedure
- The area around the tooth is numbed by a local anesthetic to ensure your comfort before the procedure.
- Dr. Wessell will remove the infected tissue and clean out the canal.
- He will fill the area with a sealant called gutta percha.
- In most cases, we will fit the tooth with a dental crown.
Dr. Wessell will work closely with you to make sure your procedure is catered to your unique needs. We would be happy to help you coordinate your appointments and understand your options at Madison Dentistry. Just give us a call today!